- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons table salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 (6-8 pound) bone-in pork shoulder
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (plus extra for serving, if desired)
To make the spice rub: Combine all of the ingredients except the pork and the barbecue sauce in a bowl. Massage this spice rub onto the pork, coating each side thoroughly. Wrap the pork tightly with two layers of plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours (or up to 3 days).
Unwrap the roast and place it in your slow cooker. Add 1/4 cup of water then turn the slow cooker to low and cook for 8-10 hours, or until the meat is fork-tender.
Transfer the pork to a cutting board and discard the liquid in the slow cooker. Shred the meat using two forks to pull it apart. Discard any fat. Place the shredded meat back in the slow cooker and add 1 cup of barbecue sauce, tossing to combine. Heat on low for 30-60 minutes, or until hot. Serve the pork with additional barbecue sauce, if desired.