- FOR CAKE:
- -2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- -1 ¼ cups Dutch-process cocoa powder
- -2 ½ cups sugar
- -2 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- -1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- -1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- -2 large whole eggs, plus 1 large egg yolk
- -1 ¼ cups milk
- -½ cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- -1 ¼ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- -1 ¼ cups warm water
- FOR FILLING:
- -1 ½ cups sugar
- -2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- -6 large egg whites
- -1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- FOR ICING:
- -2 cups heavy cream
- -1 lb. best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two standard 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
2. Into the bowl of an electric mixer, sift together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. Attach bowl to mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; add the eggs and yolk, the milk, oil, vanilla, and warm water. Beat on low speed until smooth and combined, about 3 minutes; scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
4. Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake rotating pans halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool slightly.
5. Invert cupcakes onto the rack; then reinvert and let them cool completely, top sides up.
FOR FILLING (makes 8 cups, half mixture can be enough):
1. In the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer, set over a saucepan of simmering water, combine sugar, corn syrup, 1/4 cup water, and the egg whites.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 2 minutes.
3. Attach the bowl to the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat the mixture on high speed until glossy and voluminous, about 5 minutes.
4. Beat in the vanilla. Use immediately.
FOR GANACHE ICING (makes 3 cups, 1/2 of it should be enough):
(Ganache will thicken as it sits. To cover a cake, it should be pourable but still thick enough to coat. If not, place the bowl of ganache over a pan of simmering water and stir until it reaches the right consistency.)
1. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat bring cream to a full boil; tun off heat.
2. Add the chocolate, and swirl pan to completely cover it with cream.
3. Let stand about 5 minutes. Slowly whisk mixture until smooth.
4. Transfer to a clean bowl. Let cool, stirring frequently.
To assemble the cupcakes follow these steps:
1.Place seven-minute frosting in a piping bag fitted with Wilton tip 230.
2.Place tip straight up and down inside the cupcake about mid way down, squeeze and release. The inside of the cupcake will be filled with the frosting.
3.Continue to repeat this step until all cupcake centers have been filled.
4.Dip tops of cupcakes into ganache mixture and repeat until all cupcakes are covered.
5.Place chocolate covered cupcakes in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to set up.
6.Fill another piping bag with remaining seven-minute frosting fitted with a small round tip (Wilton # 2 or #3 will work). Pipe on the squiggles on top of the cupcake!
7.Take a bite!